Author Topic: When can I see support for DualBoot ?  (Read 11309 times)

Tom

Re: When can I see support for DualBoot ?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 06:52:58 pm »
Hello Rajiv

and since MBLDR resides within the MBR I see no reason it should not work with DiskCryptor

but I see a reason that it does not work. DiskCryptor is replacing the MBR, so mbldr is replaced. No luck.
But the functionality of mbldr is included in DiskCryptor and even more, so no need for it.

If you are looking for other bootloaders, grub and syslinux are for sure working with DiskCryptor.
Look for a Bootloader that you can chainload from ntldr, all these are working. That is, you first start ntldr, and in the boot.ini you have a line like this - c:\linux="Linux Partition" - where c:\linux is a file with the bootloader (first sector of the partition you want to boot).

Tom

Rajiv

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 10:23:10 am »
Hello Tom,

and since MBLDR resides within the MBR I see no reason it should not work with DiskCryptor

but I see a reason that it does not work. DiskCryptor is replacing the MBR, so mbldr is replaced. No luck.
But the functionality of mbldr is included in DiskCryptor and even more, so no need for it.

Please note that the old copy of MBR is stored and executed by the Diskcryptor bootloader.

I wanted to know where does DiskCryptor stores its bootloader
DiskCryptor store bootloader body to hidden cylinder with the end of the disk, and store stage0 boot code to MBR. Old MBR copy saved to bootloader body and executed from it.
If hidden cylinder not present, DiskCryptor store bootloader to first track and boot OS from active partition.

For more details please view dcrypt-0.2.6-src\exe\mbrinst.c, function dc_set_mbr

Regards,
Rajiv

Rajiv

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 01:30:29 pm »
Hello ntldr,

After waiting for a while for the release of version 0.3 I once again decided to continue DiskCryptor 0.2.6 on my Laptop.

As I mentioned in "Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 12:44:36 pm" that I tested DiskCryptor with Grub4Dos available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/grub4dos in Virtual Machine and it worked flawlessly.

So now I tested DiskCryptor with mbldr (Master Boot LoaDeR) available at http://mbldr.sourceforge.net/ in the same Virtual Machine and it also worked without a problem.

I now went ahead and tested both of them in my real laptop so I installed Grub4Dos in the MBR of my Laptop and noticed that it was using around 12 sectors in the first head of my HDD and so I was sceptical that it will work. Then I installed DiskCryptor boot code, but didn't encrypt my system and rebooted, on reboot after pressing enter Grub4Dos crashed as its data in the first head was overwritten by DiskCryptor boot code.

I restored everything and then installed mbldr which resides within the mbr and so uses no other sector in the first head of the HDD. So this time I was hopping the DiskCryptor would work with my simple dual boot configuration.

I installed and configured mbldr on my laptop, I then installed DiskCryptor boot code and encrypted my 1st primary partition and then rebooted.

This time my system was working, at boot I entered the password it then showed me the mbldr boot screen I chose my encrypted partition and it booted to it properly. I was able to boot to both my partitions without any problem so my dual boot system is working with DiskCryptor along with mbldr.

My system is so far working without any problems with encryption enabled, if any problems occur I will let you know.

I would thus strongly recommend adding a inbuilt boot manger in the programme on the lines of mbldr.

Thanks,
Rajiv