Author Topic: "You need to format the disk in drive X: before you can use it"  (Read 4764 times)

lockdown

I'm sure many of you have encountered this message when inserting an external USB hard drive. How did you deal with it?

This message is very annoying and dangerous because the option selected by default (if you just hit enter without reading the message) is to format the drive. Accidentally formatting a drive like this is dangerous; it could make you lose data.

Autorun is already disabled on my computer, and the message still pops up.

I don't want to write an Autohotkey script just to close the popup message because that is an imperfect solution that might not work in some cases. It just needs to not work once, and it'd be all over for my data. Autohotkey might have crashed without me noticing for example. I also would need to keep an extra program running just to deal with this message, which is a hassle.

Also, I have removed the drive letter through Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management. This stops the popup message, but when I mount the drive in DiskCryptor, I have to set a mount point. Setting this mount point just brings the drive letter (and with it, the popup message) back. I have tried mounting the drive without setting a mount point, but the result is that I can't access the drive through Start > Computer.

Is there any way around this problem?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 08:14:10 am by lockdown »

peewee

Re: "You need to format the disk in drive X: before you can use it"
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 08:59:59 pm »
but when I mount the drive in DiskCryptor, I have to set a mount point. Setting this mount point just brings the drive letter (and with it, the popup message) back.

Not here. After setting a mount point there is no "wanna format?" popup, because it's mounted (and not encrypted anymore).
I'm currently using the beta version of DC, but i think it should be the same with the last stable version.

lockdown

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 02:12:49 pm »
Quote from: peewee
Not here. After setting a mount point there is no "wanna format?" popup, because it's mounted (and not encrypted anymore).
I'm currently using the beta version of DC, but i think it should be the same with the last stable version.

You are right. I just realized my mistake. After using a drive, instead of dismounting it before ejecting it in windows, I just ejected the drive. So since I ejected the drive when it was still mounted, it still had a letter at the time it got ejected. This meant it still had a letter when I plugged it back in, and the "wanna format?" window popped up. The problem no longer occurs if I dismount the drive in DiskCryptor before ejecting it in windows. Problem solved!

But I do have a related question. If I forget to unmount the external hard drive before ejecting it in windows, that basically means it ejects while still mounted. Can anyone get access to the data on the drive if I forget to unmount the drive before ejecting it? Please explain.

lockdown

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 11:55:25 am »
Nobody knows whether anyone can get access to data on a drive that I forgot to unmount before ejecting? By ejecting I mean either safely ejecting it in windows or just suddenly pulling it out.

Enigma

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 11:09:33 pm »
Nobody knows whether anyone can get access to data on a drive that I forgot to unmount before ejecting?
Many people know. They just may not feel obligated to answer such a question, the answer to which should be obvious.

The basics:
DC is an on-the-fly disk encrypting program, as described in it's documentation. As such, it does not write unencrypted data to the drive to begin with. Therefore, there is no unencrypted data to be read even if you forget to unmount it before ejecting it (or if the power fails, etc.). However, disconnecting a drive without first unmounting it may cause corruption.