Author Topic: XP unencrypted + XP encrypted & boodloader on a USB flash  (Read 5020 times)

Sponge Bob

XP unencrypted + XP encrypted & boodloader on a USB flash
« on: September 17, 2010, 11:02:18 am »
Hi

Русский перевод ниже

I'm trying to implement a configuration mentioned in the subject. That is:

partition 0 - unencrypted Windows XP
partition 1 - encrypted WIndows XP with bootloader on a USB flash

So when I boot the computer from HDD it just boos the unencrypted OS and when I boot from USB flash it boots the encrypted OS.
There is a similar guide for TC here http://forums.truecrypt.org/viewtopic.php?t=8831

When I tried to do this with DC I keep getting ntldr is missing error message when booting from USB or CD.

Any ideas if this setup is possible with DC?

Thanks!

Пытаюсь создать следующую конфигурацию: не первом разделе нешифрованая система, на втором шифрованая. Вторая грузится только с флэшки. Без флэшки автоматом грузится первая. Для ТС походая конфигурация описана (пока не пробовал) здесь http://forums.truecrypt.org/viewtopic.php?t=8831. Пытаюсь сделать то же с ДК, но при загрузке в флэшки или CD выскакивает сообщение ntldr is missing. Вопрос к спецам - такое возможно с ДК или нет?

Спасибо!

sparkler

Re: XP unencrypted + XP encrypted & boodloader on a USB flash
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 02:36:20 am »
is the usb bootloader set to boot disk mbr or specified partition

Sponge Bob

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 08:43:15 pm »
I tried both ways with the same result. And not only with USB flash - with bootable CD also. I still have to try to place the DC bootloader in the MBR and see if it will work.

sparkler

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 06:45:30 am »
the encrypted os's boot sector is probably damaged then did you trying booting both os's before encrypting the second one and is diskcryptor installed on the encrypted partition?

Sponge Bob

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 11:35:02 am »
Looks like I was doing something wrong last week. I tried today from the ground up and everything's fine.
The only annoyance left is that either I must hit F8 to get OS selection dialog every time I want to boot "hidden" OS or I have to leave it displaying at every startup which is not desirable. If anybody knows a workaround I'd be very grateful if you share it.

Gru

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 11:34:16 pm »
Installation sequence:

1. Install Windows XP on partition 0
2. Prepare second primary partition for second Windows xp (encrypted)
3. Install DiskCryptor ond Unencrypted Windows XP
4. Install second Windows XP on partition 1

Remember, disk speed is decreasing from begin to the end (opposing way in optic disks). You have to decide with operating system you will use more often, encrypted or not? If you use encrypted system often, then encrypt the first partition, you will gain some speed. (10-20%) depending on HDD characteristic.

5. Log in to windows on "partition 0"

6. In control panel, administrator tools, disk manager, set partition 1 as active. [From now on, do NOT restart your windows you will be unable to start any OS]

7. Encrypt your Windows on "partition 0".

8. Set booting options.

Main TAB - Booting method - specified partition - Volume C
Authentication TAB - "Password or Password+KeyFile", Password prompt message: "unchecked", Show entered password: "Hide entered password", Authentication time out set ae. 15second.
Invalid Password TAB - Use incorrect action if no password entered, Invalid password message: "unchecked", Invalid password action: Boot from active partition.

9. Restart.

It work's on DC boot manager, not windows boot manager. After uoy logo in to your encrypted widows you can edit boot.ini and remove second OS.

If you won to log in to encrypted widows enter password, if you (or someone else) don't provide password, unencrypted system start automaticly.

P.S.

If you are not familiar with DC and to see, when DC will wait for password, you can set options:

Authentication TAB like that: "Password or Password+KeyFile", Password prompt message: "checked", Show entered password: "Show asterisks", Authentication time out set ae. 15second.

De