Author Topic: 4k sector / WD20EARS encryption performance issue?  (Read 2728 times)

surject

4k sector / WD20EARS encryption performance issue?
« on: August 05, 2011, 08:47:29 pm »
Hello everybody,

First. DiskCryptor rocks. I'm an old DCPP user who liked pretty much everything about it except the closed source and the lack of multicore support. When i switched to TC for multicore support and hence 4x the speed I missed some things from DCPP. Some were added over the time, but the fact it's still a volume/container based encryption tool (UpperFilter) I'm really pleased about DiskCryptor doing it the real way again :)

Now I realized something strange ...and after many many tests I still don't know what the problem is.

When I encrypt a 2TB WD20EARS with its new 4k sectors the speed of encryption is extremely slow at 16-18MB/s and takes up to 30h to encrypt!
Funny thing now is, when I encrypt a 2TB Samsung HD204UI (which should have 4k sectors as well) it's encrypting at 55MB/s and it's done in 8-9h.

First I thought it was the SATA3 port, but nope. I also tried to format it at 512, no difference. I compared with TC and TC also encrypts the WD slower than the Samsung (WD 0.059% after 1min compared to 0.084% Samsung) but not 3x slower like DCryptor.

I also did a lot of 'real situation' tests afterwards. Like running FSX with tons of Addons (loading time up to 3m30s), sequential write/read, unpacking zip, folder copy etc. - Results:
- The WD is overall slower than the Samsung (Example: FSX folder copy from SSD (95GB): WD 29m44s, Samsung 22m47)
- TC performs a bit better than DCryptor, especially at sequential read/write to the same disc
- The WD is nowhere like 3x slower than the Samsung

So why does it encrypt 3x slower in DCryptor than the Samsung?

The Samsung HD204UI got 32MB, the WD 20EARS got 64MB cache. Both should be 4k sector discs.

Used OS: Win7 64bit

Btw. people don't really have to worry if they don't intend to encrypt a fully written WD20EARS since you can just format it in DCryptor if it's empty.

So all in all I'm just very curious ;)

any ideas?

surject

whelp

Re: 4k sector / WD20EARS encryption performance issue?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 12:11:15 pm »
I use it on WD15EARS (I believe its the same, but 1.5TB) - everything works good and fast.

Probably you need to format your partition using the modern OS (not xp/vista)? Afaik win7 / win2008r2 support 4KB natively, but everything works good only if you format it in this old.

So, I suggest: avoid win xp and vista´s format, avoid acronis disk director etc format, use only win7/win2k8r2´s format utility.

If your partition contains data that you cannot move somewhere, there was a WD utility to convert partition to their modern format.

P.S. Cache size doesn´t matter much. Recently I bought a hitachi 2TB drive with 32MB cache - and it´s much faster than WD green overall.
But even with "slow" WD I have about 80 MB/s average linear speed (Hitachi is like 105MB/s).

surject

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 01:53:11 am »
Hi,

I did all tests on Windows 7 64bit. And the speed is alright when being encrypted. The question was only about the in-place encryption speed.

Did you encrypt your WD15EARS in-place? What was your encryption speed (MB/s)?

Greetings

surject

cakruege

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 03:07:51 pm »
Sounds like a misalligned partition.
Use aligning tool before encryption

surject

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 06:11:01 am »
It's correctly aligned. NTFS start sector at 2048.