Author Topic: may have jumped the gun  (Read 15040 times)

Dfire

may have jumped the gun
« on: February 24, 2013, 08:32:13 pm »
hello i may have screwed myself big time i am using windows 8 i just finished encrypting my system but it wouldnt let me install a bootloader on the disk because one was already installed apparently? ive experimented wind truecrypt b4 but this is the only program i found that would let me encrypt my system but once i restart my computer no bootloader works windows assumes my system has been damaged and tries to repair but (obivously) fails o ya but the way i ended up encrypting it was by using the setting "use external boot loader" and intalling a bootloader of the type master boot record on a different disk and a flash drive but neither of them are recognized
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:38:12 pm by Dfire »

Dfire

Re: may have jumped the gun
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 09:06:18 pm »
PLZ RESPOND im very nervous

DiskCryptorUser666666

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 10:38:22 pm »
Download the Live CD http://diskcryptor.net/forum/index.php?topic=4422.msg9787
and decrypt you broken system with the CD. I think after the decryption you can fix your boot loader with Windows 8.

Dfire

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 10:45:38 pm »
thank u so much! ill check it out right now
edit: how do u assemble those 3 files in the thread u gave me to make a liveCD?
edit: nvm figured it out
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:07:13 am by Dfire »

DiskCryptorUser666666

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 12:31:22 am »
I hope you can fix your system. But when it works, please keep in mind --> DiskCryptor doesn't support Windows 8 officially! If you are an expert than you can try it, but if you are not, please wait for a new DC version.

Dfire

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 12:58:49 am »
I hope you can fix your system. But when it works, please keep in mind --> DiskCryptor doesn't support Windows 8 officially! If you are an expert than you can try it, but if you are not, please wait for a new DC version.
idk if id call myself an expert but im very computer savy and i want to use this instead of paying 100 dollars for a windows 8 encrypter and about the LiveCD i made one out of those files on that thread but my computer isnt recognizing it do u think it would make a difference if i made a boot flash drive? cuz it is recognizing my flash drive
edit: the main reason im having this problem is because i jumped the gun when doing this, i was too desperate to just get my computer encrypted that i didnt take proper safety precautions hopefully i learned my lesson lol
edit: maybe i dont no how to use it? how r u suppose to use the boot flash drive? is there some way i can access the flash drive thru command prompt? i bet if i could i could fix it up
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 01:25:00 am by Dfire »

Dfire

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 01:57:04 am »
still very nervous plz reply to my last question
would it be possible to use windows-to-go to decrypt my system?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 04:09:47 am by Dfire »

DiskCryptorUser666666

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 08:32:06 pm »
If your computer doesn't boot with a LiveCD than try to build a Hirens USB boot Flashdrive:
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/usb-booting/
http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk
http://diskcryptor.net/forum/index.php?topic=4422.msg9787  (use 'paranoid's' idea)

But I have no experience with a USB boot Flashdrive.
What do you mean with 'windows-to-go'? The Hirens Boot CD and its USB boot Flashdrive forks are based on Windows XP. In my mind, the Hirens Boot CD is a 'windows-to-go'.

Dfire

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 08:37:23 pm »
windows-to-go is a windows feature that is basically a live cd i was thinking that cuz hirens wasnt working but recently i figured out the key to solving my problem i needed to disable secure boot in the bios menu and allow all kinds of bootloaders to operate now i can get to the screen were it asks for your password but theres a problem idk how to use my keyfile (i also use a password) but when i enter my password it says its incorrect (im very sure it isnt) so i assume when u say "use key file" then it requires the keyfile to boot? plz confirm this
edit: may have figured it out i needed to select keyfile and password in auth right? well lets see
edit: im very sure it am now using the keyfile correctly but its still saying "password incorrect" is there something im missing? im gonna try configing the bootloader to only ask for a keyfile
edit: not working i think actually am using the keyfile wrong because when i leave after i save changes when i come back it doesnt hav a keyfile dir
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 08:56:07 pm by Dfire »

Dfire

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 11:03:03 pm »
OK guys i figured out the complicated part i just need u guys to tell me how u r suppose to use the password interface when u selected "use keyfile" when encrypting your system tell me this and itll be another case solved for the Diskcryptor team lol

DiskCryptorUser666666

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 11:11:30 pm »
I'm sorry, but I'm confused. You have to know what kind of authentication type you choose in the bootloader config. If you choose 'Password request' you just need your password. If you choose 'Password and boothauth keyfile' you need you password and keyfile.
What kind of keyboard layout did you chose in the bootloader? If you choose QWERTZ but you have a QWERTY layout, you can have problems typing the password. If your keyboard has QWERTZ or AZERTY layout, then you can use symbols only from the following sets: [A–Z][a–z][0–9]. Did you use other symbols you can also have problems.

Dfire

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 11:18:27 pm »
I'm sorry, but I'm confused. You have to know what kind of authentication type you choose in the bootloader config. If you choose 'Password request' you just need your password. If you choose 'Password and boothauth keyfile' you need you password and keyfile.
What kind of keyboard layout did you chose in the bootloader? If you choose QWERTZ but you have a QWERTY layout, you can have problems typing the password. If your keyboard has QWERTZ or AZERTY layout, then you can use symbols only from the following sets: [A–Z][a–z][0–9]. Did you use other symbols you can also have problems.

i dont understand myself actually but ill tell u everything ik
1: when encrypting my system i selected use keyfiles or w/e and created one i still have that
2: i also made a password when encrypting my system i still have that too
3: i recently figured out how to use a flash drive bootloader made directly from diskcryptor on a spare computer (i dont see how which kind of auth i used is relevant if i cant just change it at any time, i want to no which one to use)
4: i have selected the proper keyboard layout and i have used only proper symbols

questions:
1: how does the bootloader determine wat i need to decrypt my system? wouldnt that be determined by how i encrypted it?
2: given the wat ik how would i decrypt my system?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 11:21:31 pm by Dfire »

DiskCryptorUser666666

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 11:39:38 pm »
When you really did everything so correct like you wrote, than it should be easy:
(1) boot your broken system with a LiveCD or USB boot flashdrive from Hiren (whatever works for your computer).
(2) start DiskCryptor on the LiveCD/USB boot flashdrive.
(3) Chose your encrypted drives and click 'Mount'. After mounting click 'Decrypt' for decryption you system (for mounting/decryption you will need your pasword/keyfile).
(4) Reboot your decrypted system without LiveCD/USB boot flashdrive.
(5) Let Windows 8 fix your decrypted system.
(6) If you can start Windows 8 than enjoy it and never use Windows 8 again with DC until DC supports Windows 8.

Dfire

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 11:43:35 pm »
ya i was able to get hire's cd to work kinda but i didnt no wat to select once i prompted me with a window that had a bunch of different tools to launch which should i use?
edit: btw a lot of the tools didn't have their dependencies
edit: o ya and i couldnt use that hiren's cd u posted with diskcryptor "missing NTLDR" was the error i believe
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 11:46:42 pm by Dfire »

DiskCryptorUser666666

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 12:19:23 am »
-Boot CD -> start 'Mini Windows XP'
-HBCD Menue
-Security/Encryption -> DiskCryptor
-Mount and decrypt