Author Topic: Windows 8 / system encryption - collective thread  (Read 20303 times)

DiskCryptorUser666666

Windows 8 / system encryption - collective thread
« on: January 02, 2014, 12:29:51 am »
Ntldr released DiskCryptor 1.0.802.118, but Windows 8 support is still not part of the features (the newest version 1.1.836.118 supports Windows 8, but there is no HowTo and user report that there a problems. You can also post your experience with this version). Nevertheless, some guys tried it and sometimes it worked:
https://diskcryptor.net/forum/index.php?topic=4285.msg9342#msg9342
https://diskcryptor.net/forum/index.php?topic=4188.msg9142#msg9142
https://diskcryptor.net/forum/index.php?topic=4627.msg10444#msg10444
http://superuser.com/questions/622038/windows-8-hibernation-does-not-work

In my opinion the best chance* that DiskCryptor works with Windows 8 (system encryption) is:

(a) Clean install of Windows 8
(b) Use BIOS instead of UEFI (boot firmware)
(c) Use MBR instead of GPT (partition table)
(d) Disable Secure boot (just in case of still using UEFI)
(e) Don't use a Dual Boot with another Operating System
Warning: DiskCryptor doesn't support W8 official. Use at your own risk!

* I didn't use DiskCryptor with W8 by myself. I just read all the postings about this topic.

I think it would be great when all users with Windows 8 experience could write a conclusion in this thread. This could help other users and also ntldr. Please use the following form for the documentation. Thank you a lot guys!

******FORM WITH EXAMPLES***********************

-DiskCryptor version:
1.0.802.118 (or 1.0.757.115 or 1.0.744.115)

-Windows version:
W8 (or W8 Pro or W8 Enterprise or W8 Consumer Preview
W8.1 or W8.1 Pro or W8.1 Enterprise)

-Bitness:
64bit (or 32bit or I don't know)

-Boot firmware:
UEFI (or BIOS or I don't know)

-Secure boot:
enabled (or disabled or I don't know)

-Partition table:
GPT (or MBR or I don't know)

-File system:
NTFS (or FAT32 or I don't know)

-Conclusion of the test phase (including problems and troubleshooting):
DiskCryptor works fine, but the hibernation mode doesn't work.

-Link to the detailed post:
Please post the forum link, if available.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 02:07:18 am by DiskCryptorUser666666 »

DiskCryptorUser666666

Re: Windows 8 / system encryption - collective thread
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 01:19:00 am »
I'm a little bit dissapointed.  :( DiskCryptor 1.0.802.118 still does'nt support Windows 8 and I thought that a lot of user could be interested in what configurations of W8 and DC work. Some guys tried W8 and it would be great if they could share there experience with other users and ntldr. I asked more than six user via PM with messages like this:
'Hi, you have experience with DiskCryptor and Windows 8. Please share this experience with other users and the programmer ntldr and fill out the form (as a new post) in this thread. Thank you!!'

But no one filled out the blue form in this thread. Thats a pitty! I think no user is interessted in this thread and in the combination of DC/W8. So, there is no reason for ntldr that DC should support W8 in the future and I will delete his thread in two weeks when no activity is in this thread.

access501

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 12:33:01 pm »
I am very interested, but I dont have the time to try out. I would like to have an official supporting before trying on my productive system. Please dont kill this thread. By the time more users will hopefully join.

tazk

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 07:02:54 am »
this is my test

-DiskCryptor version:
1.0.802.118 & 1.0.757.115

-Windows version:
W8
W8.1

-Bitness:
32bit

-Boot firmware:
BIOS

-Secure boot:
I don't know

-Partition table:
MBR

-File system:
NTFS

when i start to Encrypt,Computer crashes immediately re-opened,
i can see the Password inquiry,but boot in to the windows will very vey slow & crash Again :'( .

gibbon

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 04:54:08 pm »
I have two different situations, one successful, one failure. I haven't tried 1.0.802.118 yet.

Success:
-DiskCryptor version: 1.0.757.115
-CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k
-Windows version: W8.1 Pro
-Bitness: 64bit
-Boot firmware: BIOS
-Secure boot: No
-Partition table: MBR
-File system: NTFS
This runs perfectly.

Fail:
-DiskCryptor version: 1.0.757.115
-CPU: AMD A6-4455M
-Windows version: W8.1 Pro
-Bitness: 64bit
-Boot firmware: BIOS
-Secure boot: No
-Partition table: MBR
-File system: NTFS
After encrytion and reboot it will ask for the password, windows boot animation will start but then it crashes with a blue screen.

MR927

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 05:38:57 pm »
I’ve done this a few times before reading this forum, all with the “first appropriate password” boot option, so I know now that I definitely need to switch to MBR, but I figured I’d post this anyway, just FYI…

1.   DiskCryptor version: 1.0.802.118
Windows version: W8.1
Computer: Toshiba Satellite C75D-A
Processor: AMD A6-5200 APU
Bitness: 64bit
Boot firmware: UEFI
Secure boot: No
Partition table: GPT
File system: NTFS
Conclusion of the test phase (including problems and troubleshooting): Works fine until reboot, Toshiba automatically opens Automatic Repair, tries to diagnose, fails, then takes you to Advanced Startup screen.  From there you can exit to BIOS, start from USB, go to recovery options (which there are none because it apparently doesn’t see the encrypted drive), etc.

2.   DiskCryptor version: 1.0.802.118
Boot firmware: CSM (boot from USB, password only)
Conclusion of the test phase (including problems and troubleshooting):  On reboot prompts for PW, upon entering get “bootable partition not mounted”.  Have to restart manually.

3.   DiskCryptor version: 1.0.802.118
Boot firmware: CSM (boot from USB, keyfile only, embedded bootauth on HDD and USB)
Conclusion of the test phase (including problems and troubleshooting): On reboot get “bootable partition not mounted”.  Have to restart manually.

4.   DiskCryptor version: 1.0.802.118
Boot firmware: CSM (boot from USB, keyfile and PW, embedded bootauth on HDD and USB)
Conclusion of the test phase (including problems and troubleshooting):  On reboot prompt for PW, upon entering get “bootable partition not mounted”.  Have to restart manually.

I also remember that I did it once and was prompted for PW on reboot, entered it correctly but got “incorrect password” error…I just can’t remember the exact settings that time.  

Jack.R

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 03:31:21 am »
thanks DiskCryptorUser6666 for one thing it feels no one bothered to put a Windows 8 thread

Considering windows 8 love it or hate it has been out for since 2012 it would be nice to see dc adopt it.

I tried it recently it installs fine on a single drive with windows 8.1 pro installed in desktop and it even encrypts fine (AES fully) I can then set up a password etc, reboot and then followed by windows 8 updated bsod screen moaning about windows being corrupted and will attempt to fix and then going to restore option but no joy. No password or boot options even show up!

So pretty much same as MR927

I too noticed it may have to do with MBR on the hdd perhaps using under 2tb it better support have not tested this. I also got a feeling it is to do with UEFI bios and UEFI fast boot or UEFIs bios mode seems many different UEFI options and modes within these newer motherboards bios perhaps best to go back to 100% legacy although to set my bios to legacy it still would not allow pc to boot correctly and only liked UEFI almost feels like windows 8 shows UEFI love and not legacy. This may explain windows 8 faster loading times etc

I do not have the correct hardware at moment to do some more testing around (wanted to try 2 hdds and try legacy mode again) but will try in future and pop back if anyone is interested that is.

Would gladly sacrifice UEFI and Fast windows 8 boot times FDE is 100% important !
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:28:04 am by Jack.R »

Jack.R

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 01:41:00 am »
small update attempted to disable all UEFI options in bios found secure boot/fast boot and UEFI shell even in bios and disabled and enabled legacy only in bios and installed win8, ran dc and rebooted and it was unable to find the windows 8.

I read the links provided in topic starter I think it maybe due to my windows 8 drive and multiple partitions being GPT and those multiple partitions at the beginning of the drive.

I will try and convert or get them back or reinstall to MBR and retry.

Will take time to reload it all back so will pop back if it worked or not but it is not looking good.

I think DC and truecrypt will not release updated versions with Windows 8 FDE support in future simply since windows 8 came out in 2012 if it has taken 2 years+ what chance now ?

I found becrypt here:
http://www.becrypt.com/products/disk-encryption

has full windows 8 support but its a software you must purchase

Also check its description!

'Becrypt customers can now mix and match devices from multiple manufacturers (including all of the major tablet manufacturers, supporting the now pervasive UEFI BIOS'

I bet those software engineers no doubt added that line in about it being pervasive indeed !

Am hoping this works if not may look at going back to windows 7

Jack.R

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 02:03:41 am »
Ran some major testing on my latest socket 1150 Intel core i7 system which has uefi bios

Its true one has to make sure you disable EVERY single uefi option, I had uefi framework, fastboot, secureboot and made sure they were all switched off, as anyone knows these features are amazing for Windows 8 and make your o/s boot within 5-8 seconds.

Then switched on legacy 100% I had installed win8 and it auto installed 2 partitions and checking under disk management it showed it was MBR.

Ran diskcryptor but sadly it gave the same error upon restarting the pc with

windows failed to start

file:\boot\bcd

status 0xc000000f

boot configuration data for your pc is missing or corrupted.

So sadly no joy with Diskcryptor and windows 8. I redid the test with windows 7 and it works just fine. Really big shame the lack of windows 8 support considering its coming up to 2 years old.

I will keep my eyes open for alternatives as I mentioned becrypt does support the pervasive Uefi bios and windows 8.1 full support but no trials available you must buy it. Truecrypt did mention windows 8 support is coming I am hoping they really update its so it adds diskcrypts type features.

older

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 06:42:36 pm »
Предлагаю автору DiskCryptor'а хотя бы приблизительно (в большую сторону) посчитать и озвучить стоимость поддержки, в частности реализации работы на актуальных системах, и завести криптокошелёк. Если людям это действительно нужно - соберут.

BrollyLSSJ

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 08:04:11 pm »
I am using DC on my Windows 7 and Windows 8 machine without problems.

Code: [Select]
-DiskCryptor version:

-Windows version:
Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1

-Bitness:
64 Bit

-Boot firmware:
BIOS

-Secure boot:
Not applicable => using BIOS

-Partition table:
MBR