Author Topic: TUTORIAL: An Easier Way to Create a Windows LiveCD Disc or USB  (Read 46897 times)

grfxguy

• Nick's Computer Guys
After spending several days struggling unsuccessfully with the official DC LiveCD instructions and trying numerous other tutorials with no success (LiveCD would never complete boot to Windows 7 PE SE desktop), I finally found an incredibly easy solution that produced a bootable flash drive (or ISO for DVD) in less than five minutes.

Create your Windows 7 PE SE build
  • Download the SMALL WinBuilder Win7PE SE package from http://w7pese.cwcodes.net/Compressed/index.php and unzip to your downloads folder.
  • Create a WinBuilder folder on your boot drive, e.g. c:\WinBuilder, and copy the unzipped WinBuilder contents from your downloads folder
  • Download the DiskCryptor WinPE Plugin from https://diskcryptor.net/wiki/Downloads and unzip.
  • Create a folder on your root drive (C:) and copy the files from your Windows 7 Install disc, preferably 32-bit. In my case WinBuilder did not seem to like working from an ISO file as the source. You may also try just using the Windows disc as your source.
  • In the WinBuilder folder you just created, navigate to WinBuilder\Projects\Win7PESE and create a new folder called dcrypt.
  • From the DC Win7PE Plugin you unzipped, navigate to dcrypt_winpe\DC_Win7PE_SE and copy DiskCryptor.script to C:\WinBuilder\Projects\Win7PESE\decrypt.
  • Run Win7PESE82_Builder from the folder you created on your root drive and select as Source the folder to which you copied your Windows 7 Install Disc, or the Windows 7 Install Disc itself. Leave all the other settings alone. This should create a bootable ISO image which will be in your WinBuilder\ISO folder.
  • You may now burn this ISO image to a CD using your favorite burner, or proceed with the next steps to create a bootable USB with this ISO.

Create a bootable USB drive from your Windows 7 PE SE ISO image file
  • Download the Microsoft Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool from http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool and install.
  • Run the Windows 7 USB DVD Downloader and select the Windows 7 PE SE ISO image you just created (see attachment).
  • Click Next and follow the remaining on-screen directions to select your target USB drive and complete the copy.
  • Test the USB boot drive to confirm it boots properly and takes you to the Win7 PESE desktop BEFORE encrypting your drive.
Enjoy!   8)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 12:09:10 am by grfxguy »

jason1234

Re: TUTORIAL: An Easier Way to Create a Windows LiveCD Disc or USB
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 12:09:02 am »
Thank you very much for posting this!!!  It would have saved me many many hours trying to get it to work via the other instructions from this site that weren't working!!

Another Nym

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 04:48:04 pm »
Thank you for this. It works perfectly. Makes the LiveCD build process "incredibly easy", just as you said.

Just wanted to add a comment about drivers. Specifically in my case the LiveCD booted just fine but could not find my main hard drives because the hard drives are RAID hard drives. In such cases it is necessary to add the RAID drivers to the LiveCD (just the same as it is necessary to add RAID drivers to a new Windows 7 installation). This too is actually very easy. Here's a link for anyone interested on how to add drivers to the LiveCD build process -- http://al-jo.net46.net/drivers/.

Again, many thanks for your instructions and links to make the LiveCD building process so simple.

__

nic.horrocks

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 07:57:56 pm »
I cant seem to get this to work, just gets stuck on "Will boot NTLDR from...." anyone know what I've done wrong?

WOWanon

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 10:26:24 pm »
IMPORTANT: WORKS ON SATA, IF DO NOT WORK ON YOUR MACHINE, SEND ME A MESSAGE, WE CAN TRY TO FIX.

I've uploade the latest DiskCryptor with Win7PE:  :D --- 10.14.2014

http://www.uploadmagnet.com/xle7bvxm2wxz/Diskcrptor 1.1.846.118 - v. 10.12.2014 - Win7PE_x86.ISO

Here is the torret file(attach) and torrent magnet: 

Code: [Select]
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:XNHT4MQTHYZWFC7WFZRJ5RFA2UWLVJ54&dn=Diskcrptor%201.1.846.118%20-%20v.%2010.12.2014%20-%20Win7PE_x86.ISO&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.istole.it%3A80%2Fannounce
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 08:19:11 am by WOWanon »

nbruley

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 12:11:59 am »
When unzipping Win7PE SE my antivirus removed HackTool.Win32.HideRun.GeN
Is this something that I need included in order for it to work?

WOWanon

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 08:25:15 pm »
Mate, you need to exclusd, from the antivirus check, the WINPE folder.
If your antivirus block some or all components of WINPE, it will not make a working PE.

If you need, you can download the image i've uploaded.

Good lucky.

AmyR

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 08:52:22 pm »
Your Tutorial is great!  I made a couple changes so it would work for me.

You say to copy the contents of windows install dvd "preferrably 32 bit"...however, I used 64 bit and it worked.  I'm not sure a 32 bit dvd would have worked, given that I am using 64 bit windows.

Also, I had to add the entire WinBuilder folder and subfolders to the exceptions list(s) of my antivirus.  It was not enough to temporarily disable or turn off the antivirus, I had to add the folders to exceptions.  I would get errors, but at the end, it said the iso was created correctly.  I tested the cd and it didn't work.  After adding the folders to the exceptions lists, it worked without errors!

For Norton Internet Security, I added the WinBuilder folder to (2) places. 

Settings - Antivirus and SONAR Exclusions - Items to Exclude from Scans

Settings - Antivirus and Sonar Exclusions - Items to Excluse from Auto-Protect, SONAR, and Download Intelligence Detection.

FYI, the WinBuilder has 23 steps and took about 15 minutes to create the iso.

eman

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 11:52:13 pm »
Call me a noob, but after carefully following these steps, when I run "Win7PESE82_Builder" as instructed in step 7, I can't find any way to select anything but the offered downloads as a source.  There doesn't seem to be a way to select a local target as the source.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

"...from the folder you created on your root drive and select as Source the folder to which you copied your Windows 7 Install Disc."

Another Nym

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 06:14:16 pm »
There is an illustrated tutorial for Win7PE SE in form of pdf located here. Go to Page 2 of the tutorial pdf to find an illustration of the basic layout of WinBuilder. The "Source" tab of WinBuilder is labeled "4". You need to click the "Source" tab, "4", to open a new page that you can find illustrated on page 6 of the tutorial pdf. In that illustration on page 6, look at the link buttons on the right side that you will find just below the label "Source directory (%SourceDir%)". You can click the square button labeled with a folder icon to choose a files location on your system.

Hope this answers your question. If not, perhaps something else in the pdf tutorial might help you.

Regards.

eman

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 08:45:55 pm »
Thanks so much for that tutorial.  However, it only serves to better illustrate my problem:

My WinBuilder does not have the buttons shown in the tutorial you linked to.  Items 1-4 in the tutorial simply are not displayed in my WinBuilder, (see attached screenshot), thus, I have no way to select a local source.  I am using WinBuilder from the sources linked in this thread.  Is there perhaps another version I should be using?

Intel i7 5930
16 GB RAM

eman

Re: Problem Solved
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 08:57:20 pm »
The latest version dated 02-20-15 and downloaded today solves the problem.

Thanks for the help!

dkluv103

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 12:29:01 am »
Hi guys! Please am a novice here and am given a project to prepare Windows7 Live CD with VLC and Browser integration which I don't know how to go about it. Please kindly help me. Am to submit it latest by this coming Thursday. Thanks.

Another Nym

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 01:47:53 am »
Your query is so off-topic. But I'll give you some pointers.

Just follow the Tutorial by grfxguy -- the first entry on this page -- except you don't need the dcrypt plugin; instead you need a vlc plugin and a browser plugin. Also you will need to add networking driver(s) or you won't be able to use your browser.  So when you get to item #3 of grfxguy's turtorial, don't get the dcrypt plugin; instead get VLC and Opera plugins which you can download from http://www.wethat.de/41274.html (VLC.7.zip and Opera.9.zip). Or you can find alternative WinBuilder VLC and Opera plugins via a Google search.

Next, when you get to item #5 of grfxguy's turtorial, make folders labeled VLC and Opera, instead of the decrypt folder.

Then for #6, unzip the VLC and Opera plugins you downloaded (above) and copy the script files into the corresponding VLC or Opera folder.

Now before you proceed to #7, you need to add networking drivers that match the hardware on your PC. To do this follow the directions given at http://al-jo.net46.net/drivers/ .

Now you can continue with grfxguy's tutorial and everything should work in a pretty straightforward manner (you might need several attempts, a bit of trial and error, and perhaps more than a bit of cursing, but you should be able to get it working relatively quickly).

Hope this helps. If you run into problems you can't solve, consult the WinBuilder tutorial you can download from this link.

__
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 02:04:49 am by Another Nym »

dkluv103

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 05:08:35 am »
Thanks a lot. will do it as soon as possible.