Author Topic: Dual boot (XP+7)  (Read 6489 times)

Anfinuo

Re: Dual boot (XP+7)
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 06:24:24 pm »
I would run 7, encrypt  7, restart to XP, encrypt XP.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm gonna do now, when I finally got that "backup" working (more or less).
And it looks like MR Free, is better than commercial software, or at least it's trial versions (no retarded limitation for partition size when restoring).

Edit
I was hopeful prematurely - it doesn't work, or to be more precise - doesn't work like it should.
With both of my HDD's connected, I can F8, and boot from the backup one (with some errors, but DC seems to be working). With only the backup one, I got what I wrote before.
With all those mess-ups people write about, I don't want to install boot record with my main HDD connected, but it seems like there's no other way.
FFS...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:04:37 pm by Anfinuo »

Italick

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 07:24:29 pm »
You could install bootloader to USB instead of HDD.

But then you would have to encrypt 7 while running XP, and XP while running 7.  It is different from my last recommendation, but I have seen it work before.

If I remember right, encryption of the system drive (the one where the current OS is running) automatically puts a bootloader on the HDD.

Anfinuo

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 05:50:36 pm »
Encrypted the backup 7 partition (yep, it automatically adds a bootloader), with the tips you gave me (First partition with appropriate password, Boot from active partition, Use incorrect password action if no password entered).
I can boot from it, but when I input correct password, it says something about missing MBR :|
Backup XP isn't encrypted, and boots fine after providing incorrect password.

Italick

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 10:27:58 pm »
Hello,

I assume this has been done:

To prepare the 7 partition (faster method):

Start 7, insert 7 installation disk, open a command prompt with administrator abilities.

My 7 partition was labeled C: and my cd drive was labeled E:.  Change the drive letters in the following commands, as needed, to target the cd drive and the 7 partition.

Run the commands:

E:\boot\bootsect /nt60 C:
bcdboot C:\windows /s C:

Now the 7 partition is updated for Diskcryptor.

I recall, during one experiment, that I got this message after I entered "E:\boot\bootsect /nt60 C:".

The update may be unreliable since the volume could not be locked during the update: Access is denied.

I substituted the command to E:\boot\bootsect /nt60 C: /force, and I  got the confirmation that the boot sector was written to C:.

Based on this, I suggest:
* Decrypt 7 while running XP.
* Start 7, then insert 7 installation CD.
* Open elevated (administrator) command prompt.
* Run command <CD_driveletter>:\boot\bootsect /nt60 <Win7_driveletter>: /force.
(Probably, <Win7_driveletter> will be C.  Be sure not to make a change to XP by mistake.)
* Encrypt 7 while 7 is running.
* Make sure previous bootloader options are in place:
(first partition with appropriate password, boot active partition if password incorrect, no password = wrong password)
* Restart and test.

Finishing encryption is not necessary, if you pause the encryption in Diskcryptor before rebooting to test.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 10:51:52 pm by Italick »

Italick

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 01:45:07 am »
Is there a file named BOOTMGR in the root folder of the drive with 7?

I think that the bootloader's failure to detect BOOTMGR on the partition can result in the message Missing MBR-helper.

Anfinuo

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 10:33:37 pm »
I definitely think somethings wrong with DC.

I decrypted the backup 7 partition (using BartPE), removed DC bootloader - it boots fine.
I encrypted the backup XP partition (using BartPE), installed DC bootloader - it boots fine, but now, the unencrypted backup 7 partition doesn't.
I've encrypted the backup 7 partition again - it doesn't boot, but fortunately backup still XP does.

I'm finished for today. Maybe in my sleep, something will come to me :D

Italick

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 12:25:49 am »
Hello.

So XP and 7 are both encrypted, and only XP can be started.  They could both be started while they were not encrypted.

Next, I would use the BartPE to change the 7 encryption password so that it is the same as the XP encryption password.

I suspect that would make both systems bootable (provided that both systems were bootable before the encryption was applied).

It is possible to get both systems working and encrypted under different passwords, but first let's try the test where they both have the same password.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 12:31:31 am by Italick »

Anfinuo

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 04:22:28 pm »
Thank you, it worked.
Well, sort of. Got some critical error message, about Win 7 going to shutdown in 1 minute (first time ever). But I think those errors are because of "grafting" (backup of a HDD, "restored" on a different HDD).
Guess, it's time to make, and move backups to external a media, and "get the show rolling".

Italick

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 06:45:40 am »
Hello.

So, you were able to start both XP and 7 after you put them both under the same password.

You know what that means, don't you?

It means that the actions which the processor needs to perform to boot Windows 7 include reading some piece of data, in plaintext form, that is encrypted on the XP partition.  If the passwords are different, the XP partition does not get decrypted to produce the necessary data to load 7.

If the passwords match, Diskcryptor decrypts some data from both partitions in the process of booting 7, and all of the requirements to start 7 are met.

If you try to have the systems encrypted and working under separate passwords, you have to prepare these things correctly for that plan:

* the partition boot record for 7  (That is to say, the first 512 bytes in the 7 partition, not the MBR.)
* the Windows boot manager files on the 7 partition

By default, Microsoft installer DVDs for Windows 7 do not install the Windows boot manager files onto the 7 partition if you install 7 to a new partition after XP has already been installed.

Anfinuo

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 09:34:06 pm »
It means that the actions which the processor needs to perform to boot Windows 7 include reading some piece of data, in plaintext form, that is encrypted on the XP partition.  If the passwords are different, the XP partition does not get decrypted to produce the necessary data to load 7.
Well, I don't really follow your logic, and can't test\confirm this, since I've cleaned the test HDD.

Anfinuo

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 08:06:11 pm »
Funny thing. I've DBAN-ed the backup HDD, but the DC bootloader is still there :D
Guess it's true that DBAN doesn't wipe the "whole" disc.

As for encrypting the "main" drive, it's temporary on hold, but will keep you informed.