Author Topic: Need to create USB bootable For Lenovo X1 Carbon  (Read 5413 times)

sally

Need to create USB bootable For Lenovo X1 Carbon
« on: March 06, 2015, 05:47:52 am »
Hello,

I installed diskcryptor on a Lenovo X1 Carbon running windows 8.  I did this on 2 Lenovo's.  One is working fine.  The other will not boot up nor show the password prompt.  Instead it has a 0X0000000F error.  I've tried a BartPE and a Hiren's CD to get to Diskcryptor.  The BartPE runs and then fails at WinXP splash screen with a 0x0000007B error.  For Hiren's CD, I can't seem to find the Diskcryptor software that is allegedly already installed on the disk at command line.  I'm now trying to create a WinBuilder version and it's super complicated. 

I'm hoping someone else has an easier solution.  I just need diskcryptor to run on a live cd so I can enter the password and rescue the data.

Thank you

Italick

Re: Need to create USB bootable For Lenovo X1 Carbon
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 06:23:33 am »
Hello.

Is removing the drive and attaching it to another PC by USB an option?

sally

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 06:38:07 am »
I did remove it put in another lenova. It was still inaccessible.  Unfortunately the drive is a little card and nothing I can put into an external USB case.  I have since figures out how to boot to hirens and get minixp running.  I ran diskcriptor fitness there and it did not see the drive.

Italick

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 06:57:37 am »
Hello.

I've made a bootable WinPE with Diskcryptor before.  It was indeed super complicated, but I think I can figure it out again.

I didn't use Winbuilder or a Windows 7 setup DVD.

I used Macrium Reflect Free Edition to make a rescue USB drive.  Then, I found the "boot.wim" file in the sources folder of the drive, and I customized it to include Diskcryptor.

I suggest that you download Macrium Reflect Free Edition and make a rescue USB drive.  In the procedure, select a WinPE version 3.1 for a 64 bit architecture.  I'll see if I can write up how to get Diskcryptor into it.

Italick

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 08:19:34 am »
Hello.

I have instructions on making a Diskcryptor boot USB drive on the basis of a Macrium Reflect rescue USB.  These instructions are meant to be used on a 64 bit Windows 8.1 PC with Diskcryptor and Macrium Reflect installed.  These instructions worked for me with version 1.0.802.118 of Diskcryptor installed.  It is a 64 bit version.  A 32 bit version of Diskcryptor would be incompatible with the Macrium Reflect rescue environment referred to in these instructions.

Download the attached text file.  This file contains the update to the Windows Registry that is documented on the Diskcryptor LiveCD page, except that a registry key that you do not need (and which you cannot use) is omitted.

Make a Macrium Reflect rescue USB drive with a WinPE 3.1 environment for a 64 bit architecture.  You may have to click "advanced" in the window where you select the WinPE version.  If the window with the "finish" button is telling you that it will build a 32 bit rescue drive, you may need to click the "rebuild" button to select 64 bit.  Download whatever WinPE builds Macrium requires for the process.

Now that you have the rescue USB drive, copy the file named "boot.wim" from the "sources" folder on the rescue USB drive to the root of the E drive (or other drive, but you would have to change the commands in these instructions accordingly).
In the root of the E drive, make a folder named "bootwim".
Run an administrator command prompt.
Run this command in the command window:
dism /mount-wim /wimfile:E:\boot.wim /index:1 /mountdir:E:\bootwim

Now the wim file has been extracted into the new "bootwim" folder.

Go to the folder "E:\bootwim\Program Files".
Make a new folder there named "dcrypt", and go into it.
Copy these files to the folder "E:\bootwim\Program Files\dcrypt":
dcapi.dll, dccon.exe, dcrypt.exe
(You have to confirm as administrator).
The source files should be located in the program folder for the Diskcryptor program on your PC.

Go to the folder "E:\bootwim\Windows\System32\drivers".
Copy this file to the folder:
dcrypt.sys

Now you have to edit the registry for your WinPE:
Run regedit.exe.  In the registry editor, highlight "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE".
Go to "File", then "Load Hive", and select the file "E:\bootwim\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM"
Give the key the name "WinSetupDVD" and click OK.
Change the name of the downloaded file from "registrychanges.txt" to registrychanges.reg".
Double click on it and confirm the changes that it will make in the registry.
Change "registrychanges.reg" back to "registrychanges.txt".
Highlight the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WinSetupDVD".
Go to "File", then "Unload Hive", then confirm.

Now make sure all Explorer windows showing files on the E drive are closed.

Do this command in the command window:
dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:E:\bootwim /commit

Now the file named "boot.wim" on the E drive contains Diskcryptor.
On the USB drive, replace the original "boot.wim" file in the "sources" folder with the modified "boot.wim" file that is on the E drive.

After you start the PC with the USB drive, you will need to keep Macrium Reflect open to prevent the PC from turning off or resetting.  You can browse to "X:\Program Files\dcrypt" in the rescue environment and run Diskcryptor with dcrypt.exe.

It is important to remember NOT to close the Macrium Reflect window while you are using Diskcryptor in the WinPE.  If that window is closed, the computer will turn off.  This could forcibly stop Diskcryptor's work on the drive.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 07:46:42 pm by Italick »

Anfinuo

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 05:32:12 pm »
I'm now trying to create a WinBuilder version and it's super complicated.
I feel your pain - I'm currently trying to put Macrium Reflect and DiskCryptor into one PE, (also with WinBuilder, or one of its "forks"), but it "doesn't look promising" :(

About that error in BartPE. If your disc is SATA\SCSI, then that's probably the reason. You can switch it to "compatibility" mode in BIOS.

sally

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 11:52:14 pm »
Thanks Italick!  Amazing info.  However, I ended up following the instructions here. https://diskcryptor.net/wiki/LiveCD.  I also used this YouTube Video by Britec https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vCyIIqkeiM.  I got the USB to boot and go to DiskCryptor!  2 days of work and here are my instructions:

How to Decrypt Windows 8
kasi@metanautix.com

Goal
Rescue data from a Win 8 laptop that cannot be accessed.

Background
If a win 8.1 laptop produces a BSOD and there is no visible drive (0x0000000F), then do the following to decrypt the drive.  NOTE: This assumes that the user has the key to decrypt the drive.

Create WinPE
Download the latest DiskCryptor https://diskcryptor.net/storage/dcrypt/ for Win PE.
Select dcrypt_winpe.zip.
Unzip into Documents.
Download a copy of Win7 http://www.ceol.com/2014/need-a-windows-7-dvd-microsoft-has-you-covered/.
Using 7z http://www.7-zip.org/download.html, extract the iso into a folder on Documents.
The folder will be called X17-59186 or something like that.
Download this Win7PE_SE file http://w7pese.cwcodes.net/Compressed/.
Unzip into a folder on the C: drive called Winbuilder.
Put a copy of DC_Win7PE_SE from C:\Users\<user>\Documents\dcrypt_winpe into C:\Winbuilder\Projects\Win7PESE\Apps\Security.
In C:\Winbuilder, open Win7PESE82_Builder.exe.
In left, column open Win7PE SE>Apps>Security
Check the box in front of DC_Win7PE_SE.
Open further.
Check the box in front of DiskCryptor 1.1.
Select the Source tab at the top.
The source directory is C:\Users\<user>\Documents\X17-59186.
Press "Play" button.
The ISO will now be built.
When this is done, there will be a Win7PESE.iso in C:\Winbuilder\ISO.

Create Bootable USB
Download the Universal USB Installer http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/.
Step 1: Select Windows 7 Installer.
Step 2: Browse to C:\Winbuilder\ISO\Win7PESE_x64.ISO
Step 3: Select USB and format.
Close program when finished.

Boot to USB
Start computer and enter BIOS.
Select USB drive to boot to.
Windows 7 installer will show.
When desktop loads, you will see DiskCryptor shortcut icon.
Open DiskCryptor.
Select Drive.
Unmount.
Enter password.
Select Partition.
Decrypt.
Enter password.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 01:05:53 am by sally »