Author Topic: Problem in boot windows without encrypt SSD  (Read 4512 times)

warbat

Problem in boot windows without encrypt SSD
« on: March 22, 2015, 02:59:39 pm »
I encrypted my OS SSD drive in my laptop. After that, not bootloader and windows can't open ( your computer needs to repaired). the boot CD that i created does not work ans the iso image is corrupted.

you have a solution? because my laptop is unusable.

usb or other? thanks.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 03:04:48 pm by warbat »

Italick

Re: Problem in boot windows without encrypt SSD
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 02:12:26 am »
Hello.

In this post, I am linking to an archive where I have hosted a USB flash drive image containing a WinPE with Diskcryptor and Macrium Reflect.  From here on, I am referring to a USB flash drive as a UFD.  After the image is applied to a UFD, a 64-bit PC should be capable of booting the WinPE from the drive, using legacy boot mode.

Many new computers that boot in UEFI mode by default come with an option to change the boot method to legacy mode, and this option is in the motherboard settings.  The Windows 8 operating system is typically installed so that booting it in legacy mode is not possible.  So if you need to change the boot mode from UEFI to legacy for booting the UFD, remember to change the boot mode back to UEFI (with secureboot) when you want to boot Windows.

So if you encrypted a Windows installation that boots by UEFI which became unbootable after the encryption, and you will be using this WinPE to decrypt it, the procedure is like this:

1) Get the archive and put the image on a UFD.
2) Change the boot method from UEFI to legacy.
3) Boot the UFD and decrypt the drive with Diskcryptor.
4) Change the boot method back to UEFI.
5) Run Windows.

If you are going to use my WinPE, please read this carefully.

The most important warning here is that you must leave the Macrium Reflect window open while you are running the WinPE, or the computer will suddenly shut off.  Do not forget this.  I suggest that you start the WinPE and close the Macrium Reflect window to see what I mean before you use Diskcryptor.  Please do not forget about leaving the Macrium Reflect window open during operations.

If you use the archive to install the WinPE onto a UFD, please use a UFD that you do not need to use later for another purpose, and which has more than 500MB of capacity.  It should certainly not have any files on it that you are saving, because they will be deleted.  What is more, the deletion of the files by may not prevent their future detection.

Also, please be advised that the total capacity of the UFD will drop to about 500 MB when it contains the WinPE.  The original capacity of the UFD drive should be recoverable by following the procedure discussed at the end of the post.

The archive is compressed.  It can be decompressed with an application called 7 Zip.

The password to open the archive is as follows:
HelpMeDC99

The UFD image is the file named "DC_USB_64.bin".

The archive also contains an application called ImageUSB from PassMark.  You should be able to run the application and use it to write the UFD image (DC_USB_64.bin) to one of your UFDs.  Take good care to pick the intended target drive, and not another one that is attached to the computer.

After you have booted the system on the UFD, Macrium Reflect will be open.  Do not close the Macrium Reflect window while you are running Diskcryptor.  If you close Macrium Reflect, the computer will turn off immediately, even if Diskcryptor is working, and that event could result in damage to a partition that Diskcryptor is accessing.  So leave the Macrium window open until you are ready to shut the computer down.

The Diskcryptor program is in the ramdisk.  In my case, this is drive X after I start the WinPE.  To start Diskcryptor, browse to X:\program files\dcrypt and run dcrypt.exe.

Note that the drive where dcrypt.exe is located is not a permanent drive.  Whatever files you intend to save should be saved elsewhere before you power down because the drive vanishes.  The UFD, which in contrast is a permanent drive, can be expected to have a different drive letter.

When Diskcryptor is open in the WinPE, you will not be able to use the Diskcryptor window to jump into the files contained by a mounted partition.  You have to use the PE Explorer to get into the files.

In the event that you need special characters to decrypt a drive, you may use Notepad.  Just open a commmand prompt, type the command "notepad" and press enter.  In Notepad, you can figure out how to key in your password.  You may copy and paste it into Diskcryptor.  You may enter special characters by using their Unicode numbers in decimal format.  Unicode numbers are published on the internet with both decimal and hexadecimal formatting, and you need decimal if you are using the the technique that I refer to.  The technique is to push alt, type a 4 digit number while alt is pushed, then release alt.  All numbers entered in this manner should be four digits long.  A Unicode number below 1000 should be entered with at least one leading zero.

To remove the WinPE from the UFD and to get the original capacity back, use ImageUSB to zero out the drive.  You may abort the task before it finishes, because only the first 512 bytes need to be zeroed out.  Then attach the UFD to a Windows computer and format it.  This should restore the full capacity.

The archive is here:
https://yadi.sk/d/suBcJSGdfRgLd

correction:

This post used to say that the UFD drive is bootable in UEFI mode with secureboot enabled.  I learned that the statement was an error, and it is not bootable in UEFI mode.  You must use legacy compatibility mode to boot the drive.  Then, you can use Diskcryptor with it.  Find the legacy boot option in your motherboard settings.   If your operating system requires the UEFI boot mode, remember to change your boot mode back to UEFI in your motherboard settings.

A text document inside the archive states that the UFD will be bootable by UEFI with secureboot enabled.  This is incorrect, because a legacy mode boot is required.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 05:58:59 am by Italick »

warbat

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 04:04:43 am »
Thank you for your answer but it's impossible to boot up in USB drive. My micrologiciel reboot imediatly in the same page.
My loptop is a 32bits windows distribution, so i think that not working.

I send my laptop in manufacturer, with little lucky, they fix this.

The last chance is take SSD drive directly in laptop and link in other laptop with DC installed.

Sorry for my english, I am french ;)

Baptiste.

Italick

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 05:27:12 am »
The last chance is take SSD drive directly in laptop and link in other laptop with DC installed.

Yes, that is a way to decrypt it.  You can connect the SSD to another computer with a USB adaptor for hard drives.

If you do not have a USB adaptor for hard drives, you could connect the SSD inside of a 64-bit computer, boot to USB, and decrypt.  Or if the other computer has space for a secondary hard drive, just install Diskcryptor normally and decrypt.

You have described a problem that often occurs after a user encrypts a system that boots by UEFI.  Diskcryptor does not support UEFI startup.  I know that there are some 32-bit computers that start by UEFI.  However, most computers with UEFI are 64-bit.

I do not have a WinPE for booting a 32-bit computer by UEFI.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 05:29:05 am by Italick »

ThankYou

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 08:51:11 pm »
Hi Italick,

just registered to say thanks for this manual and especially for your Win-PE-Image!

I messed up my bosses laptop (he has a UEFI bios). I expected that DiskCryptor would check whether the system partition can be encrypted beforehand and that it would create a rescue disc before encryption starts. (As I was used to from TrueCrypt and VeraCrypt.)

However, DiskCryptor simply encrypted it without checking and I couldn't boot my bosses PC.

Thanks a million for getting me out of trouble. :-D

Greetings from Berlin!
Mr. Vegan

fook_me

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 04:04:11 am »
Please help... I was able to boot the UFD after changing boot menu to run Legacy. The Macrium program pops up fine but I cannot find the Diskcryptor program to run it. I have looked everywhere. The folder /decrypt is there under X: > program files but the folder is blank. Is there something extra I need to do that will include the .exe file in the UFD?

I am using windows 7 64-bit. Not a techie person and took a few hours to get this far. I know enough to be dangerous and really cannot lose my files. Please help if you can... Thank you!

Anfinuo

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 01:13:16 pm »
If Italick's Live Media doesn't work for you, you can try other ones:
https://diskcryptor.net/forum/index.php?topic=5321.msg12691#msg12691

Threads in "Troubleshooting" subforum like this one:
https://diskcryptor.net/forum/index.php?topic=5387.0
can provide you with further help.