Author Topic: Windows 10 support?  (Read 31292 times)

windows10question

Windows 10 support?
« on: July 27, 2015, 12:41:28 pm »
Windows 10 will be out soon and I wanted to ask if I can upgrade my encrypted computer when it comes out?
I guess I'll have to wait for a new version of diskcryptor that supports Windows 10?

alkoro

Re: Windows 10 support?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 03:58:21 pm »
Hi,
Great wish. As ntldr said many times - the new version /dc/ will be only after the official release of the OS. As for support for the new operating system - Windows 10  (pre-release) supported like a 8 now, too (not full, no UEFI-boot/system encryption).

gary89

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 08:32:56 pm »
I herby confirm Diskcryptor 1.1.846.118 and Truecrypt 7.1 a work fine in Windows 10 PRO. Installation goes fine and mountig encrypted devices are mounted without any errors.

Gary

windows10question

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 03:54:23 pm »
So... Can I install Windows 10 on a Windows 7 system encrypted computer?
I guess I'll wait for now.

alkoro

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 04:33:20 pm »
Hi,
I have not tried, but I think not.
At one stage of upgrade windows 10 restarts,  I'm not sure that the installer will not change the bootloader and accept DC driver into core. If the driver isn't loaded or if the boot is removed/changed - system will stuck. Better to decrypt system partiton(s) first to clean upgrade.

gary89

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 03:54:28 am »
Clean install windows 10 PRO ( ENG ). Systemencryption with Diskcryptor 1.1.846.118 seems to work fine. (AES). I didn't notice any difference from windows 8.1. Be sure to have backed up your important files if you feel unsure.

Sincerely

Gary.

Italick

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 10:38:34 am »
I'm still working on getting my machine ready for 10.

It did not install directly on my encrypted 8, which was all on a single encrypted MBR partition containing both the OS and the Windows boot manager.

I decrypted the system and converted it back from MBR to GPT for now.  I hope those changes will allow 10 to install.

anatoly

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 07:50:30 pm »
ntldr
Будет ли релиз для Windows 10?

Italick

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 02:40:38 am »
I got Diskcryptor system encryption working on Windows 10.  Booyah!!!

It took a day's work.

First, because I did not want a install fresh, I had to change my broken-in system so that it would boot by UEFI again.  The updater failed until I put the Windows 8 system back to "normal" with UEFI and without encryption.

Putting UEFI bootability back involved reinstalling a factory image, and then overwriting the factory OS partition with the broken-in one (decrypted for this setup).  It also involved reconfiguring the boot manager on the broken-in OS partition.

Windows 10 was then installable.

Then, it was a matter of cloning the working system out to an external drive, modifying the clone to be bootable by legacy mode, and then cloning the external drive onto the internal drive.

Finally, encrypt again.

That is approximately how it worked for me.  The process involved much trial and error and plenty of lower level details than what I mention here.

edit 1:

I'm leaving 10 for now and going back to 8.1 because I don't like forced automatic updates.

edit 2:

I've reconsidered and I am putting up with 10 for now.  I'll be content if I can delay automatic updates by disabling "Windows Update Service".  I am not against the updates, and I usually have not opted out of specific updates in the past.  I just want them to be done on my schedule, not Microsoft's schedule.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 09:32:58 pm by Italick »

Italick

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 11:22:22 pm »
Something is making me nuts.

I made an image of the system partition while it was unmounted, and the size of the image was about equal to the amount of space used by files, which is significantly less than the size of the partition.  Usually, such images have taken as much space as the source partition when I used Diskcryptor with Windows 8.1.

HxD is showing me that many of my sectors within the partition are empty (full of zeroes).  I am guessing that this has something to do with "trim" on my SSD which I use to host the system.

That was not happening to me with Windows 8.1.

Another curiosity is the fact that I cloned the system to two drives (one a HDD and another a SSD), and now HxD is hardly showing me any sectors in the SSD copy that match sectors in the HDD copy.

edit 1:

I disabled "trim" in Windows.  That turned out not to be enough, so I disabled "trim" in the Diskcryptor settings.  This seems to have stopped blank sectors from appearing in my partition.  I don't remember disabling "trim" in Windows 8.1 but it seems as if the system was not trimming my SSD anyway.

edit 2:

I see my switch to Windows 10 as a success so far.  Basically, it looks like "Windows 8 lite" to me.  I don't know whether it looks lite on fresh installations.  The OS has picked up my settings from 8 and carried them over to 10, which possibly accounts for some of the liteness.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 07:21:51 am by Italick »

windows10question

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 01:33:31 pm »
I installed Windows 10 on my parents' computers and it runs great. I like the system. I'm decrypting my SSD (which surprisingly takes only an hour) and will install Windows 10 and will leave the system unencrypted until I can be sure that encrypting the system will work without any problems.

I save important files (encrypted) online to be independent of my hard drive. Losing files or having to format wouldn't be the end of the world if I messed up. But it would be quite a hassle so I'll wait with any encryption attempts and not risk anything.

Anfinuo

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 02:58:22 pm »
I save important files (encrypted) online to be independent of my hard drive. Losing files or having to format wouldn't be the end of the world if I messed up. But it would be quite a hassle so I'll wait with any encryption attempts and not risk anything.
Cloud storage and "not risking" :D
But it's probably better than nothing.

windows10question

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 11:16:38 am »
Cloud storage and "not risking" :D
But it's probably better than nothing.

Password-protected rar-files have AES 128-bit encryption :)

Anfinuo

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 07:18:19 pm »
Cloud storage has two major risks:
  • you don't really know where your data is, under what law, who's accessing it,
  • software, or hardware failure could make your data nonexistent
And I'm not even talking about forced shutdown like the Megaupload one, or the one other storage providers did after shitting themselves.
Not to mention run of the mill bankruptcy, etc.

xtrars

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 07:32:40 pm »
Password-protected rar-files have AES 128-bit encryption :)
WinRAR 5.xx support AES-256 ;)

Funktioniert mit Windows 10 (Serpent-AES für die System-HDD & AES-Twofish-Serpent für normale HDD).