Author Topic: Windows 10 support?  (Read 31289 times)

Graycor

Re: Windows 10 support?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 08:15:35 pm »
Yo. I'm trying it on a dual boot system with Xubuntu that's a throwaway just for testing it out / for fun (all on one hard drive, partitioned). So far I've run into some problems that I'm trying to work out. I've got it set up so that when I enter a password, it should boot to windows 10, and when I enter the wrong password / no password, it boots to Xubuntu. It shows me when it is correct or incorrect. In both instances, it sends it to grub and boots to Xubuntu. To be fair, I may have done something hastily without paying enough attention and made a mistake when I was setting it up. I'll test further and try different ways to make it work. At least it successfully gets to Xubuntu, which is encrypted through different means. Making a liveCD now to go play with it some more; I'm a computer science student and this is my first experience with trying to encrypt a drive, I have to say this very impressive software.

CheetoX

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 11:32:09 pm »
With the Windows 10 support, will it work with the "Home" edition, or should I look to upgrade to Pro instead?  This is an older laptop and am just looking to keep it more secure than otherwise

CheetoX

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 08:13:47 am »
Hi,

Do you have any idea when the Windows 10 version of DiskCryptor will be ready?  Also will that version work okay on the Home edition of Windows 10?  I just ask because any guides that I have seen online so far have talked about the PRO version, and just wanted to make sure before I potentially lock myself out of my own hard drive...

Thanks!

Anfinuo

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 04:43:34 pm »
With the Windows 10 support, will it work with the "Home" edition, or should I look to upgrade to Pro instead?  This is an older laptop and am just looking to keep it more secure than otherwise
Judging by this page:
https://diskcryptor.net/wiki/Main_Page
and lack of differencing between Starter, Home, Pro, Enterprise, Ultimate, etc., I would say it doesn't matter.
Well, unless MS removed encryption bits in non-PRO versions, or something.

CheetoX

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 08:53:24 pm »
Sadly from what I am aware of, they have removed the built in encryption from any OS except for PRO...  That is my fear that I will try encrypting my HDD and all of a sudden I won't be able to access anything...  :-/

Anfinuo

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 11:33:52 pm »
Sadly from what I am aware of, they have removed the built in encryption from any OS except for PRO...
I'm confused. You're worried about BitLocker, or DiskCryptor ?

That is my fear that I will try encrypting my HDD and all of a sudden I won't be able to access anything...  :-/
If MS removed encryption bits, you wont be able to encrypt at all.

CheetoX

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 02:28:34 am »
DiskCryptor.  Bitlocker was removed from any but the PRO editions of any windows OS that I am aware of in recent history.  I will have to try to make a back up of my system using AOMEI and just see what I can do with DiskCryptor sometime soon

Anfinuo

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 04:08:52 pm »
DiskCryptor.  Bitlocker was removed from any but the PRO editions of any windows OS that I am aware of in recent history.
I doubt that DC uses BL, so if the removed only BL, not the mentioned encryption bits, you'll probably still be able to use a third party encryption.
And judging by this:
https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH224415.html
https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Supported%20Systems%20for%20System%20Encryption
I think my assumption is correct.

artfulcat

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2016, 04:53:43 pm »
So, ntldr, we have support Win10 (maybe beta-support) or not? 6 months passed from realising Windows 10. It's just question with respect.

I have Win7x64 Home Prem and I think about an upgrade to Win10 Home. I guess I must:

1) Decrypt all parts.
2) Remove bootloader and Diskcryptor.
3) Update Win7 to Win10.
3b) Make image system part.
4) Install new Diskcryptor & encrypt all again.

Maybe somebody did it and can help with that?

P.S. Sorry for my ugly English. Как-то так. :)

CheetoX

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 05:10:59 pm »
I herby confirm Diskcryptor 1.1.846.118 and Truecrypt 7.1 a work fine in Windows 10 PRO. Installation goes fine and mountig encrypted devices are mounted without any errors.

Gary

So, what will happen if I was to encrypt my HDD on my W10 HOME edition?  Probably won't be adding my sys/boot partition, so am just unsure if it will still work alright afterwards, nd what kind of protections that can give me, without adding BOOT in there..?

Is there an alternate way to add a preboot password to my system..?

Italick

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2016, 06:37:22 pm »
Hi.  If you are running a computer that has a UEFI boot mechanism, you need to use a workaround in order to get Windows 10 encrypted and running with Diskcryptor.

I have discussed such a workaround here:

https://diskcryptor.net/forum/index.php?topic=5132

Possibly, Windows 10 could be installed and encrypted without the workaround if the computer does not implement UEFI.  (I have not tried that yet.)  Computers marketed with Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 have been required to implement UEFI.

You may succeed in using Diskcryptor to encrypt Windows 10 on a computer that uses UEFI without using the workaround.  The result is a computer with a system that does not start.

vldanv

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2016, 03:58:39 pm »
In my opinion this product is dead. This software several times lost headers on encrypted disk, I've lost a lot of time to restore access to data. In my opinion, the installation of this software on Windows 10 very dangerous for the integrity of the data.

Anfinuo

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 10:42:13 pm »
In my opinion, the installation of this software on Windows 10 very dangerous for the integrity of the data.
You do realize that Windows 10 isn't supported by DC, and if you wanna go through with it anyway, you can only blame yourself for any damage ?

oneone

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2016, 07:51:24 pm »
Вот и прошел год с момента выпуска 10-ки. Хотелось бы все же знать, выйдет ли dc под нее? Программа просто отличная, но стали посещать мысли что ее постигает такой же финал с прекращением развития как и трукрипт  :'( вот только ожидать форка в случае dc не приходится.
Раньше ntldr отказывался от добровольных пожертвований разработчику, может он все таки согласится выпустить новую версию если общественность это дело проспонсирует?

Это конечно целиком его дело, но проект имеет большую значимость в наше время, а достойных простых альернатив единицы и очень обидно, если ntldr забросит разработку просто потому что больше не интересно, при том что уверен найдется множество людей, готовых скинуться чтобы заплатить за его труд.

Проще говоря, ИМХО, несколько морально безответственно прекращать разработку такого проекта, тем более если труд при желании может быть оплачен.

anatoly

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 03:16:05 pm »
ntldr отказывался от финансовой поддержки чтобы потом не быть объектом наезда со стороны компетентных органов и поэтому не выдает свою личность и не принимает финансовую помощь. Ну раз пока форум жив шансы на развитие проекта хоть и минимальные но есть.