Author Topic: can't boot  (Read 6983 times)

thomthom49

can't boot
« on: September 28, 2015, 05:34:35 pm »
Hello,
Sorry if i am asking questions on old topics but... I have recently installed DC on two machines.  A 32 bit desktop and a 64 Bit laptop, both running Windows 10.  Desktop runs fine, no problems.  Laptop on first turning on after install stops on the HP splash page with a message in the bottom left to "press the escape key for startup menu"  Escape key is ineffective.  HP (Win 7) recovery disks will not boot.  Win 7 install disk will not boot.  In fact CD/DVD drive runs but nothing registers on screen.    Any suggestions?  All help appreciated.

Italick

Re: can't boot
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 10:38:37 pm »
Hello.

Do you need to recover the encrypted data?  If you use Win 7 installer or recovery media, they could make the data impossible to recover because they could change the boot sectors in the encrypted partitions.

Does the 64-bit computer use UEFI to boot?  Diskcryptor does not have a UEFI bootloader.  On UEFI computers, Diskcryptor may only start in the legacy boot mode.  Windows would then have to be installed or else customized so that it can accept a legacy mode start-up.  So changing the boot mode to legacy is not enough to get a Windows installation for UEFI started.

However, if you change the boot method from UEFI to legacy, the 64-bit computer may possibly begin to request the Diskcryptor password each time it is turned on.  No password, in that event, should allow the system to start until after the system is customized for a legacy start-up.

You may use live media (Diskcryptor on a WinPE) to decrypt the drives and remove the bootloader, thus reversing the changes done by Diskcryptor.  Most of the time, that causes a computer to operate as it did before.  If you are doing that, remember to change the boot mode back to its previous setting: UEFI with SecureBoot, UEFI without SecureBoot, or Legacy mode (a.k.a UEFI CSM mode, a.k.a. BIOS emulation mode)

thomthom49

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 01:53:31 am »
Thank you for your response Italik

I would like to recover the encrypted data.  It is duplicated elsewhere but it would save me a lot of effort if i did not have to reformat this drive and start over.

I do not know if the computer uses UEFI.  How would i determine this?  Since i am unable to get beyond the first screen i am unsure how i would be able to change the boot mode anyway.

How do i get diskcryptor on a WinPE in order to effect the changes you recommend.  How would i know what the computer's previous setting was. 

I am sorry to be so pittifully ignorant on this and i am really grateful for your help.

Italick

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 02:27:56 am »
Hello.

The boot mode is a hardware setting.  Its availability is independent of the contents of the drive, and whether the computer even has a drive connected to it.  There is usually a key to press during start-up to get into that settings system (called BIOS).  It could be Escape or F12 or Delete or F2.  They key to press for BIOS depends on the model of the computer.

I don't know of a reason for you to change BIOS settings, given what you stated.  You could look through the settings to see whether the computer boots by UEFI.  In that case, you would be able to confirm that this is the reason why the Diskcryptor bootloader and the operating system do not start.

To make the live media for running Diskcryptor to decrypt the disk, you may transfer my .bin file to a USB stick with ImageUSB or you may transfer one of Anfinuo's .iso files to a USB stick with Rufus.  The page where I have linked to my setup for a USB drive has usage warnings.  The live media files are uploaded by members of this forum.  They are not official products of the Diskcryptor project.  Officially, Diskcryptor has a page with an explanation of how to install Diskcryptor on live media here: https://diskcryptor.net/wiki/LiveCD

Look here for links to the threads where the links to the live media files are located:

https://diskcryptor.net/forum/index.php?topic=5321.0

To get the computer to load a system on an attached USB drive, you may need to interrupt the start-up with another key on the keyboard to access the menu.  If you prefer not to change the BIOS setting from MBR to UEFI, I suggest Anfinuo's .iso file.  Mine, if I recall correctly, does not start if the computer boots in UEFI mode, and Anfinuo told me that his .iso file contains a system that does boot in UEFI mode.

thomthom49

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 02:08:36 pm »
Thank you again for your continued willingness to help me resolve this issue. 

I have tried to access the bios page with no success.  The laptop hangs on the HP splash page with a message in the bottom left corner.  I took it to my local computer expert and he tried the normal ways (different "F" keys or the Del key with no success at getting the bios page to load.  No other attempts at repair have been made.  I think based on this that I will need to remove the hard drive and try to decrypt it after plugging it into my desktop.  My desktop is running 32 bit Win 10 and the laptop is 64 bit. 

Do you have any advice for me on the best way forward doing it this way?  Thank you again.

Italick

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 05:22:20 pm »
That's a way to decrypt the drive.

Some drive adapters are not compatible, and would not allow you to mount the encrypted partition (or partitions).  Incompatible adapters report an altered sector size to the computer.  A typical case is when the drive reports a 512-byte sector size and the adapter reports a 4096-byte sector size.

Connecting the drive directly inside another computer, and using the internal power supply, would reduce the chance that the drive may disconnect during decryption because of a power shortage.

Decryption can be resumed after a sudden disconnect, but data could be corrupted somewhere in the partition afterwards.

If you are using an adapter to make the connection over a USB port, and if the adapter has a cable with 3 heads, I suggest plugging 2 heads into USB ports.  The head that is not meant for the data transfer is meant to deliver supplementary power to the drive.

thomthom49

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 06:57:57 pm »
I will plug it in inside the computer.  I have two options.  I have one computer running windows 7 that is very stable and has never shut down inadvertently.  Would it be ok to use it for this project or will there be conflicts because the laptop drive is coming out of a machine running windows 10.  If that presents conflicts i can use the desktop machine that is running windows 10.  It is not as stable though and has on occasion shut down due to "DPC Watchdog Violation"

Once the drive is installed and visible is the procedure for decrypting available and easy to use in the DC software?

Thanks again

Anfinuo

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 07:26:08 pm »
I am sorry to be so pittifully ignorant on this...
Yeah, why you'd even considered encrypting with that level of "know-how" perplexes me. But at least you seem to be aware of your "shortcomings", which is more that most people can say :)

I do not know if the computer uses UEFI.  How would i determine this?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=uefi+or+bios+how+to+know

Or in 3 simple steps:
1. Press Win (key with the Windows logo) + R.
2. Type: "msinfo32", press enter.
3. Look for entry about BIOS Mode in "System Summary".

Since i am unable to get beyond the first screen i am unsure how i would be able to change the boot mode anyway.
BIOS\UEFI is the first thing you can access, even without some hardware components, or OS installed.
Here's a handy list of keys that lets you access it:
https://craftedflash.com/info/how-boot-computer-from-usb-flash-drive
Look up your manufacturer, and then "BIOS/UEFI Key".

How do i get diskcryptor on a WinPE in order to effect the changes you recommend.
Well, you could create one yourself with tips on DC Wiki page, various PE building things (good, old BartPE, WinBuilder or its "forks", etc.), or you can use one already provided in that links that ends with 5321.0.

How would i know what the computer's previous setting was.
By remembering ?

...Anfinuo told me that his .iso file contains a system that does boot in UEFI mode.
Not quite. I've told you:
Quote from: Anfinuo
I have no idea. Didn't see any extra settings about UEFI in WinBuilder. But the people say it should, if it's x64, and since .iso has an efi folder, with .efi files, I think it's more than likely.
:]

I think based on this that I will need to remove the hard drive and try to decrypt it after plugging it into my desktop.  My desktop is running 32 bit Win 10 and the laptop is 64 bit.

Do you have any advice for me on the best way forward doing it this way?  Thank you again.

If you\he really used the right keys, and you still can't get into BIOS\UEFI, you probably can't get into boot device menu (the "...interrupt the start-up with another key on the keyboard to access the menu..." Italick mentioned, "Boot Menu" in that link I've provided earlier), then that's probably the only thing you can do.

Best way ? Carefully, and knowing why, and how.

The 32/64 bit difference shouldn't matter. What could matter, is the mentioned by Italick sector size "shenanigans" some adapters do. But if they're both SATA drives, and you just plug it via a cable, it shouldn't be a problem.
After, or even before decrypting it, you should remove DC bootloader ("Tools" -> "Config Bootloader").
If you successfully decrypt it, and all, you should think about removing the hidden repair\recovery partition, because they just mess your computer further up in cases like this. Make that "local computer expert" do it, if you don't feel up to it.

Would it be ok to use it for this project or will there be conflicts because the laptop drive is coming out of a machine running windows 10.
No there shouldn't be - you'll be using the laptop drive just as another drive, not OS drive. But you should use a Live Media with that machine, and decrypt from it, not from the OS you have installed anyway. It's safer.
To do that simply access the mentioned earlier "Boot (device) menu", and choose the device you put the Live Media on (optical drive, pendrive).

Once the drive is installed and visible is the procedure for decrypting available and easy to use in the DC software?
Yeah, similar to encrypting:
1. Open DC.
2. Click the drive you want (RMB is fine too).
3. Click: "Decrypt".

Just remember not to confuse drive letters.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 07:32:33 pm by Anfinuo »

thomthom49

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 08:04:21 pm »
Thank you Anfinuo.  Your post is clear and to the point. 

I am afraid the mistake is mine regarding ignorance and that is precisely what it was.  I wronly presumed the software would be turnkey.  It was not and I got caught out.  Thank you and the other poster for coming to the rescue.  It is appreciated.

I have installed the suspect drive into the Windows 7 desktop and it is seen and recognised.  I have used DC to try to choose the drive and decrypt but the decrypt is greyed out and not chooseable.  Drive D, F, and G were encrypted but not H.  When I originally encrypted the others the H was not selectible for encrypting.  Although now in this situation it is selectible and the encrypt button is available. 

Anyway, that is where i am now.  Any further suggestions?  Your involvement is most appreciated.

Anfinuo

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 10:15:35 pm »
I am afraid the mistake is mine regarding ignorance and that is precisely what it was.  I wronly presumed the software would be turnkey.  It was not and I got caught out.
It is, you just didn't read the instructions, and put the lock in anyway. Now you "wiggle" with the key, but you put it backwards, and the bolt, instead in the door frame, goes into the door itself.

I have installed the suspect drive into the Windows 7 desktop and it is seen and recognised.
As it should.

I have used DC to try to choose the drive and decrypt but the decrypt is greyed out and not chooseable.
You can't decrypt the whole drive, you must do it one partition (D, F, G, or H) at a time.

Drive D, F, and G were encrypted but not H.  When I originally encrypted the others the H was not selectible for encrypting.  Although now in this situation it is selectible and the encrypt button is available.
Proper vernacular (or at least less confusing one) is "partition", or "volume". "Drive" is better used for the whole disc, no matter how many partition are on it.
That tells me nothing. But the "Failgate" st9500 yadda, yadda drive with 4 partitions on it, is probably the laptop one.

D is probably system reserved.
F is probably OS.
G is probably data, but the size suggests that F is data, and G is OS.
H seems to be the hidden repair\recovery partition I've mentioned earlier (lol FAT :D I wonder if at least 32).

Anyway, that is where i am now.  Any further suggestions?
Bare minimum:
1. Decrypt all the partitions from the laptop drive (you could probably leave the data one alone).
2. Remove DC bootloader from it (mentioned in earlier post).
3. Put it back in your laptop, do what Italick said, and only then encrypt again.

Removal of repair\recovery partition is recommended. You could also merge the system reserved with the OS one, but that could be tricky.

thomthom49

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 10:20:22 pm »
You're a star. The decrypt is running now. Should finish after midnight UK time. I'll let you know results. Thank you!