Author Topic: unable to determine volume version and state.  (Read 7695 times)

sugoi

unable to determine volume version and state.
« on: November 07, 2015, 06:26:53 pm »
Hi. I need some help please.
I have 3tb WD drive encryted. FS NTFS on Win7
I dont remember but may be i force unmount yesterday.
Now I cannot read the data.
I can mount the disk in diskcryptor. but label and type is empty.
The drive is not accesible in explorer.
chkdsk shows: "The type of the file system is ntfs. unable to determine volume version and state. aborted"

I have no header backup. I made one now to make some test.
Active partition recovery is not helping me.
Testdisk also the same. try to repair partition but doesnt work, so I restore the header again from the backup.
I think i will buy another disk, clone it and decrypt it. Then try testdisk again.
Any idea? advise? please

Anfinuo

Re: unable to determine volume version and state.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 04:20:04 pm »
Any idea?
Looks like your header\partition table went bye-bye.

advise
Yes, even couple:
  • do what the DC creators tell you to do:

• don't mess with things you don't understand, can't unmess
  • "fixing" unmounted encrypted disc, only create more things to fix,
  • cloning and decrypting is a good idea, but I'm afraid if anything, only doing some "hexes" will help you now. Unfortunately our forum "magician" is MIA.

sugoi

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 01:17:40 am »
Anfinuo, thanks
I made the header copy but it was stored in the same drive I think. Don't miss understand me I'm not stupid. The problem was that I was migrating from true crypt.... that's why I got to put all the data in the biggest disk, meanwhile I change the others.... well ... I put too much faith on the big disk and now I have this serious problem.

Anyway
I clone the Disk. Acronis failed near the end but Clonezilla made the job.
Now I have the copy mounted and Im decrypting the data.... 
I don't have the knowledge to hexes as you told me :(
So, When it end I will try a testdisk or ontrack easy recovery..... will let you know if it work.

Italick

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 11:57:40 pm »
Hi Sugoi.

Based, on your first post, I think you have the right ideas.  If the volume still mounts, there is probably nothing wrong with the header.  (If you lost the header, you would not be able to get past "error 4" when trying to mount the partition.  This is the same response that Diskcryptor gives if an invalid password is entered.)

Most likely there is damage in the filesystem.  Chkdsk can often diagnose and correct that kind of issue.

If chkdsk didn't work, the next thing I would do is clone the partition to another drive and decrypt the clone, as you mentioned.

After the partition is decrypted, you can try various products that are meant to detect and extract files from damaged partitions.  One possible program to use is EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard.

I have only tested EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, and never used it to fix my files.  I hope I never really need to use it to get my files back.  Good luck.

sugoi

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 04:40:21 am »
if anyone want to know, after decrypt the disk, I tested several tools like testdisk, recuva, ontrack....
But the only program that help me to recover all the files with name and file structure was Active partition recovery and Active file recovery.
Also I realize that backup of header is not enough. Its only the diskcrypt header. It doesn't have any information about the FS inside. YOU have also to backup the fs header.

No matter how good your disk is. They are not reliable. Also any process can write the wrong area by error...

Real advide: Avoid headaches. Just duplicate you storage and have 1 backup offline(no powered).