Author Topic: Disappearing Drives in Win7PE Diskcryptor  (Read 1664 times)

jjj

Disappearing Drives in Win7PE Diskcryptor
« on: April 04, 2016, 08:58:43 pm »
Greetings,

I am having a strange problem. My drives in Win7PE only show up for a few seconds before disappearing. Has anyone had this before?

It goes from this ...
To this ...

I wanted to follow DC's recommended procedures of recovery and decrypting the drives from a boot disk. I also have the Headers backed up on my Win7PE boot disk.

A normal boot to Windows 7 boots perfectly and DC shows all HD's. Its only when I try to perform a recovery by booting from a win7PE boot disk when the drives disappear within DC. They are visable in computer manager as unallocated 

I am using a USB disk Win7PE w/ Diskcryptor installed (https://diskcryptor.net/forum/index.php?topic=5284.0).

Thank you for your help! I really wanted to find a practical solution if anything catastrophic happens during the encryption process.

jjj

Re: Disappearing Drives in Win7PE Diskcryptor
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 09:01:21 pm »
So I dont know if I solved my own problem or used a work around but I opened up Disk Management first and let it sit there for several seconds. I was able to see all the drives then decrypt the drive.

I will have to do more testing on other machines to see what is happening.

Anfinuo

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 09:15:58 pm »
Has anyone had this before?
No, and IIRC, I've encrypted, and created a backup with Macrium to a secondary disc, all under PE.

I am using a USB disk Win7PE w/ Diskcryptor installed (https://diskcryptor.net/forum/index.php?topic=5284.0).
Which one ?

jjj

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 10:07:51 pm »
I am using the 64bit Win7PE.
Default x64 (~370 MB):
https://openload.co/f/QvtPdflMqGo/BskqwQjYK5.7z

I tried it on 2 different machines. Dell and an Acer Laptop, both with similar issues. It seems to me that its related to the Win7PE. I could be wrong though.

I can try the x32 bit and see if i have the same issues.

Anfinuo

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 02:25:04 pm »
Did some tests, results are interesting.

Test setup:
One SATA optical drive.
Two HDD's, one SATA, one (P)ATA.
Rufus v2.1.649
CDBurnerXP

Test number 1, 2, and 3.
Created PE on pendrive, with default Rufus settings.
Used all the three .iso's, got the same results - drives are indeed "disappearing", and in Disk Management, the main\OS HDD lists as uninitialized O_o

Test number 4
Created PE on a CD-RW with CDBurnerXP, using the Default x64 .iso - works like a charm.
So the things become clear(er).

Test number 5
Created PE on pendrive, with Rufus, unchecking everything in the the "Advanced Options" area - works like a charm.

Conclusion:
Default Rufus settings do something that probably messes up the loading of drivers, and other stuff (there's no Win7PESE welcome screen too, and there should be), or something like that.
Maybe later I'll try to use other bootable pendrive creators, to see if that's only Rufus's "affliction".

In any case, you got a solution, and I'm glad I didn't mess anything :)

Edit:
Looks like you've used Universal USB Installer, I've just created "BUSB" with it, so I'm gonna check it, if only for the "kicks".

Edit #2
UUI doesn't work for me either, YUMI works, but only without the additional (P)ATA drive.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 03:36:17 pm by Anfinuo »