Author Topic: Disk backup software that works with DC  (Read 3140 times)

FM

Disk backup software that works with DC
« on: December 11, 2016, 11:19:02 am »
Hello!
I have disk with 2 partitions: C:system+D:documents. All partitions encrypted with DC with one password. But time-to-time I need to make full backup/restore of system disk C: to/from disk D:. For disk service I use Paragon via WinPE booting ISO. Is any possibility to add to Paragon boot .ISO bootloader from DC so Paragon will see and properly use those encrypted partitions for backup and restore (as disk or as files)? Someone already do this?

Anfinuo

Re: Disk backup software that works with DC
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 01:09:38 pm »
Don't know anything about Paragon, but some people said Acronis works with DC encrypted discs.

BrollyLSSJ

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 06:02:15 pm »
Paragon still does not see the Partitions as NTFS formatted when trying to back them up from within Windows. I never tried a full sector by sector backup though. In that regards the only backup solutions which work from within windows are Acronis True image Home 2014 to 2017, ShadowCraft Shadow Protect Desktop (only tested Version 4 back then), Veeam Endpoint Backup Free and Windows own Backup Solution (the one you get when you type "windows backup and restore"). Free Altertives to Acronis are Seagate DiscWizard (You need to have a Seagate or Maxtor HDD) and Acronis WD Edition (You need to have a Western Digital or Sandisk HDD).

FM

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 12:39:50 pm »
Thanks for answers!
"in windows"
But I talk about (Paragon) "WinPE bootable CD". Maybe it's possible to add to that Paragon boot ISO also DC bootloader with embedded keys so after boot Paragon may able to recover encrypted system partition from also encrypted Paragon.PVHD that lie on second drive?! Will system encryption still working auto recover&reboot?!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 12:42:51 pm by FM »

BrollyLSSJ

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 04:40:37 pm »
WinPE with DC integrated is the same as DC installed and Paragon installed => should not be seen as NTFS and therefore only a full 1:1 backup might work. But you can try that.

dc4712

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 07:53:10 pm »
I've been using Drive Snapshot (http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/) for ages. It works, it's fast and it's safe but it's (inexpensive) payware. (I'm not in any way affiliated with its developer.)

geeky

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 11:06:49 pm »
I am also using DriveSnapshot directly from within Windows to backup my encrypted disks. But keep in mind that the backup will NOT be encrypted, it is the plain unencrypted partition! But I back it up to another encrypted partition, so that is not a problem. Should you need to restore the backup, just boot to a Windows PE, run DiskCryptor, mount the encrypted backup volume, then start DriveSnapshot and restore the image to the C: drive. Works like a charm, done it like 30 times already in the last years. Of course, you need to re-encrypt the partition of the restored C: drive later on.

StefanM

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 07:11:16 pm »
Best for clone:

Linux:
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=4k & ddpid=$! ; while [ "`ps -a | grep $ddpid`" ]; do sudo kill -SIGUSR1 $ddpid; sleep 10; done

Warning: (check / to adjust: sda, sdb ! 4K = SSD)