Author Topic: DiskCryptor and Disk Management utilities + Dual-Core problem  (Read 5165 times)

mempen

I have encrypted my new 1 TB HDD with DiskCryptor (931,5 GB actually) and copied there about 750 GB of data. When the disk is dismounted and i try to access it with Windows Explorer i get "Unformated disk. Format now?" message and under all HDD management tools i can see the full unused capacity of 931,5 GB and still have a "Format" option availabe. So my question is: if someone will answer "Yes" and format the dismounted/encrypted HDD will all the data be lost or it simply won't "heart" the encrypted HDD?

Second question: i've read about 100 MB/s on Quad 6600 and that DC is optimized for Intel CPUs..... i have AMD 64 X2 4600+ EE CPU and i've noticed (Task Manager) that by encryption was only one core in use..... does it mean that DC is optimized only for Intel or is it something wrong with my system (Asus M2A-VM 690G, 8 GB DDR2-800, WinXP Pro x64)?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Geo_log

Re: DiskCryptor and Disk Management utilities + Dual-Core problem
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 09:37:32 am »
1) if someone answer "Yes", then all the data will be lost.

Tom

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 11:23:03 am »
1) It is not recommended to say "yes", because you really will lose data.

2) That's absolutely normal. Also on Intel, only one core is used for the encryption/decryption of the whole partition. This process is not multithreaded, it's onyl one thread. The example of the four cores is for the on-the-fly encryption, where several threads are using the encryption/decryption engine.

Tom

mempen

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 04:04:56 pm »
Is there any chance then to protect the entire encrypted drive against formatting it somehow?

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 06:31:04 pm »
well, you can always try to hide the drive letter... i'm not sure about the possibility to remove this windows asking feature once and for all, but if you don't mount the drive you might as well want to have the drive letter removed.

mempen

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 02:35:37 pm »
ok. but can i hide my hdd from disk management progs? i mean my data is encrypted and nobody can see it, that's fine, but if someone gets my HDD and tries to format it i will loose all my data! he won't see what i have on my hdd but he will destroy everything just formatting my hdd! is there any chance to prevent this?

ntldr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 08:00:41 pm »
Disk drive letter hiding can be added in dc 0.3

junx

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 10:12:13 pm »
ok. but can i hide my hdd from disk management progs? i mean my data is encrypted and nobody can see it, that's fine, but if someone gets my HDD and tries to format it i will loose all my data! he won't see what i have on my hdd but he will destroy everything just formatting my hdd! is there any chance to prevent this?

No you cannot do that start thinking please, when someone physically steals/gets your harddisc they can format it, throw it in the microwave for an hour, dissolve it in acid whatever. How you can prevent this? Well buy big fucking safe where you store your harddisc when you dont use it, install a security system, hire a russian security crew with Ak-47 guarding it.  :)

DickSryptor

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 07:35:43 am »
No you cannot do that start thinking please, when someone physically steals/gets your harddisc they can format it, throw it in the microwave for an hour, dissolve it in acid whatever. How you can prevent this? Well buy big fucking safe where you store your harddisc when you dont use it, install a security system, hire a russian security crew with Ak-47 guarding it.  :)

I took his/her concern as being related to casual or accidental formatting.  It's easy to understand this concern, since all it takes is for an idiot user to click a drive letter, then either hit Enter or click Yes.

DickSryptor

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 07:38:05 am »
Disk drive letter hiding can be added in dc 0.3

It looks like dc 0.3 doesn't have drive letter hiding included.

But if a drive letter is hidden via Disk Management, how does the dccon.exe -mount command work?  Normally you would use "dccon.exe -mount <letter>:", but without a letter, it doesn't work.  I tried "dccon.exe -mount \Device\Harddisk\Volume<number>", but that doesn't work (gives "Error: 2").

ntldr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 09:38:40 am »

DickSryptor

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 07:29:13 pm »
I did read the "documentation" as you so charitably put it.  I saw the command line options, but that's what I am confused about.  As for the rest, if it even matters, I cannot read Russian.  I tried translating it with an online translator but it is still not understandable.

I don't care anymore anyway.  Every time I encrypt my system drive with DiskCryptor, my system halts immediately after POST, without the password prompt even coming up.

ntldr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 11:22:01 pm »
Every time I encrypt my system drive with DiskCryptor, my system halts immediately after POST, without the password prompt even coming up
please more details about your hardware configuration and test this boot cd
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 11:25:09 pm by ntldr »